Small World News is seeking a website designer to design our new online presence. We are an international organization providing tools and technology to journalists and citizens around the world to tell stories about their lives and their communities, through everyday engagement, elections, and crises. We’re looking for a designer who can help us envision and create a design that captures the work we do around the world while employing current design trends and standards. You’ll work with key members of our core team to present wireframes, initial comps, and final designs. We are launching the site on the WordPress platform, so the design should take into account the functionality and limitations of the CMS as they translate to the public theme.
Expectations for this project are someone with proven experience in web design and an online portfolio we may review. While we are only seeking a designer for this project, you may also include additional information about the schedule and costs to develop your design into a working WordPress theme as well.
You may read about who we are and what we do on our current website: http://smallworldnews.com
* Have a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Fireworks
* Knowledge of WordPress administration, understanding the elements of that system and how to integrate the design into a working theme
* An ability to produce appropriate sketches, wireframes, navigation models
* Fluency with evolving web standards and technologies, usability best practices and an interest in emerging interactive design trends
* An excellent visual design aesthetic that incorporates typography, color and other aspects of visual design
* collaborate well with others while having the ability to work independently
* Are detail orientated and strive to achieve the highest levels of quality in the work you produce.
Additional skills/background that are a plus:
* Formal Design Education
* CSS/HTML experience/knowledge
* Previous work with non-profit organizations
* Experience with usability testing
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills