Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2011-2012 school year, 23 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and expect to serve more than 40,000 students from across the U.S. The Connections Learning division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K-12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and more. More than 300 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the United States and beyond, are already utilizing Connections Learning products and services. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
National Connections Academy (NaCA) is a division of Connections Academy LLC. Five years ago, Connections Academy began admitting students to a pilot program. The pilot program was created to meet the needs of students who were not eligible, for a variety of reasons, to enroll in one of Connections’ virtual public schools. In addition to enrolling a select number of full-time students, the pilot program found there was keen interest from its family of virtual public schools in having selections from its course offerings (most particularly its language and elective courses) available for part-time study. After successfully operating as a pilot program, National Connections Academy was formed as a fully accredited private school program. NaCA enrolled over 2500 students this school year and is poised for significant expansion.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working out of your home in Mississippi, the Adjunct Teacher will “virtually” manage subject-specific instructional programs. Compensation will be based on the specific course workload and number of enrolled students. He/she will be responsible for monitoring progress, evaluating work, running online instructional/tutorial sessions, providing academic guidance, and being the subject-matter expert for a caseload of middle/high school students. The Teacher must be able to commit to a schedule of regular office hours . Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools, they will consult regularly with learning coaches, mentors and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Adjunct Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
• Communicate with parents/learning coaches, students and other teachers via the phone, WebMail, asynchronous discussions and synchronous “conferencing”;
• Instruct students, monitor student work, provide feedback, and suggest instructional approaches and strategies;
• Monitor completion of assignments in the given subject area;
• Score assessments and projects in the given subject area;
• Communicate with Advisory teachers and school counselors; report student issues and coordinate communication schedules;
• Conduct online tutorial and instructional sessions for students (utilizing online conferencing software);
• Develop a very detailed knowledge of the curriculum for which responsible (subject expert);
• Provide struggling students (and parents) with alternate strategies and additional assistance;
• Complete all required training sessions throughout the year;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Highly qualified and certified to teach Science (6-12) in Mississippi (appropriate to grade level and subject responsibilities)
• Resident of Mississippi
• Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office)
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• High degree of flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
• Team player track record
• Experience with online instruction is a plus
• Must own a computer with high speed Internet access that meets Connections Academy’s minimum technology specifications (http://www.connectionsacademy.com/technology/technology_requirements.asp).
• Must maintain posted office hours for at least 3 hours per week on two separate weekdays between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm
• Complete required orientation and training programs at the beginning of the school year.
• May be required to attend training and/or meetings at the school office throughout the school year (frequency dependent on proximity to office)
• Comply with all provisions of the Connections Academy Work At-Home Policy.
Openings for the 2011-2012 School Year Include:
• Science (Gr 6-12)